Best bank loan deals
Best VA Mortgage Lenders of April 2019
You want to work with a lender that knows the Department of Veterans Affairs mortgage program inside and out so you can benefit from its many perks. You also want one that can get you a mortgage as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Best overall mortgage lenders for VA loans
at Veterans United
at Quicken Loans
at New American
at BNC National Bank
at Veterans First
at Caliber Home
at Navy Federal
Ideal for borrowers who want lots of options and a quick turn time. Fairway Independent Mortgage offers a full selection of home loans along with a comprehensive mobile app for a fast and easy application process.
Ideal for Latino and other minority borrowers, millennials, foreign nationals, as well as those seeking a full array of purchase and refinance loans, including jumbo mortgages.
Best VA mortgage lenders: summary
- Best overall for VA mortgage experience: Veterans United Home Loans
- Best for online VA mortgage experience: Quicken Loans
- Best for weaker credit borrowers: New American Funding
- Best for customer service: Veterans First Mortgage
- Best for online VA mortgage experience: Caliber Home Loans
- Best overall for VA mortgage experience: Navy Federal Credit Union
- Best for customer service: Fairway Independent Mortgage
- Best for weaker credit borrowers: Alterra Home Loans
- Best for traditional bank: NBKC Bank
- Best for traditional bank: BNC National Bank Mortgage
Best VA mortgage lenders: detail
NerdWallet’s selection of mortgage lenders for inclusion here was made based on our evaluation of the products and services that lenders offer to consumers who are actively shopping for the best mortgage. The six key areas we evaluated include the loan types and loan products offered, online capabilities, online mortgage rate information, customer service and the number of complaints filed with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as a percentage of loans issued. We also awarded lenders up to one bonus star for a unique program or borrower focus that set them apart from other lenders. To ensure consistency, our ratings are reviewed by multiple people on the NerdWallet Mortgages team.